Friday, January 28, 2011

Shepherds Pie

I was at a lose for what to make for dinner tonight.  So I took to Facebook for suggestions.  One of the suggestions was shepherds pie, aka cottage pie. Thanks, Karen Czekalski.  I was thinking about making a Cajun shepherds pie, but didn't have the right stuff.  Then when she said shepherds pie I had to make it, even if it wasn't Cajun.  I found a recipe in one of Mom's cookbooks that called for ground beef, tomato juice, carrots, peas, onion, and some seasonings topped with mashed potatoes.  I didn't have enough white potatoes to make mash for the topping so I improvised and made mashed sweet potatoes.  It turned out quite good.  I also made apple salad, which in our house usually consists of chopped apples, raisins, maybe some celery and banana with a peanut butter, mayonnaise dressing.  I didn't have all the right ingredients, like mayo, so again I improvised and made the dressing with peanut butter, some milk, honey, and a bit of molasses.  Put that on chopped apples and raisins, and it was good.

I like to improvise while cooking.  I laugh in the face of traditionally prepared foods. :-D



Currently Listening
Only a Fool Would Say
by Ace Elijah

No comments:

Post a Comment