Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Pepsi Rib Roast

I was house sitting for my boss a couple weeks ago and watched the Food channel a lot.  During one of the Iron Chef challenges the Iron Chef used Coca Cola, or whatever it is there in Japan, and cooked a pigling in it.  So that got me thinking about using Pepsi and Coke in my cooking.  I researched it, hello Google, and there is actually stuff like Pepsi Roast Beef, Pepsi Steaks, etc.  I had a 2 liter of Pepsi sitting around, so I used that.  Put a rib roast in the crock pot with the Pepsi and a mirepoix (50% onion, 25% carrot, and 25% celery).  Since the roast was frozen I let it cook on low overnight and then pretty much all day Monday.  So by dinner time it was very tender.  The acid in the Pepsi helped make it tender, and it made the meat a nice dark color.  I also made my famous, at least in the household, mashed potatoes, gravy with Italian seasonings, and sauteed some broccoli.  I didn't really think the Pepsi made the roast sweet, like people said it would online.  It was quite yummy though.

The roast ready to cook.
Cooked roast.
It was good.
Currently Listening
Understand This is a Dream
by The Juliana Theory

No comments:

Post a Comment